Saturday, November 9, 2013

Veteran's Day

http://www.flandersfieldsmiracle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/poppy2.jpg

I love this holiday, as sorrowful as it is, because it asks each of us to remember those who fought and died, or suffered wounds, both the physical and emotional, in service to their country.  Being from an immigrant family that fled Europe during World War II, my parents made sure I understood what that entailed.  But that war that happened before I was born was history for me.  Veteran's Day has become much different and more personal since I lost one of my dear friends and college mates, Major David G. Taylor Jr., who was killed fighting in Iraq in October 2006. I miss him terribly still, and his wife Michelle and son Jake are always in my thoughts and prayers.  David's funeral occurred close to Veteran's Day, and all of us who attended received the traditional red poppy to wear, and the famous poem, "In Flanders Fields" was read at the service.   I never knew exactly where the poppy tradition came from until then.  The poem is beautiful, but tough if you have raw grief, or even grief that is still right there seven years later.  But I still like to read it as a tribute to my friend and all those I did not know.   Here it is for you, a Veteran's Day gift, with a short explanation on the history of the poem.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

2 comments: